Indran is an Accredited Specialist in Wills and Estates Law.
He has experience in all aspects of estate litigation. He has a particular interest in contested probate proceedings and applications for court-authorised wills as well as both plaintiff and defendant family provision litigation.
Indran also has extensive experience in defendant litigation, both at trial and appellate level. His practice focuses on litigious aspects of estate, probate and succession law, as well as public liability asbestos claims.
He has acted for a publicly listed Australian company for over 15 years, defending asbestos-related claims against it, both at first instance and on appeal.
Indran also advises churches in relation to professional standards and child protection. He has acted in landmark litigation which upheld the validity of the child protection system established by the Anglican Church.
- Bringing and defending complex family provision claims, in particular, on behalf of claimants who lack capacity.
- Administration proceedings, in particular, legal suits to compel executors to administer estates according to law and for the removal of executors.
- Acting in and defending proceedings for statutory wills.
- Acting for parties against whom allegations are made in investigative bodies such as ICAC and Royal Commissions.
- Defendant asbestos litigation.
“Understanding both parties’ needs is the key to resolving most disputes.”
Indran acted for the successful parties in the following significant matters:
- James Hardie & Co Pty Ltd v Seltsam Pty Ltd (1998) 196 CLR 593 (apportionment of damages)
- CSR Limited v Eddy (2005) 226 CLR 1 (Sullivan v Gordon damages not part of the common law)
- Seltsam Pty Ltd v McNeill  NSWCA 158 (foreseeability)
- B I (Contracting) Pty Limited v Strikwerda  NSWCA 288 (set-off of damages in a Lord Campbell’s Act claim)
- Sturt v Farran  NSWSC 400 (procedural fairness; professional standards)
- McMaster v State of New South Wales  NSWCA 228 (intentional torts; self-defence)
- Heffernan v Innes  NSWSC 1033 (informal will; intestacy)
- Heffernan v Innes (No.2)  NSWSC 1187 (indemnity costs; non-acceptance of a Calderbank offer)
- LP v P  NSWSC 1168 (management of protected persons)